Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Journey So Far

Hello Readers!
Welcome to the first post!
I could go on and introduce myself with the boring details, but lets just bring it with the flow.
This post is about how it got started, wait, started for GSoC! Now I was approaching the second year of my college with not much title of achievement, other than being just another decent student excited now and then by simple experiments into the world of problem solving and creating my own stuff.
Though I wanted to start contributing to open source from a long time, it was only by January that I could really begin, seeing many of my friends searching organizations for GSoC. GNU Mailman was the first one I could begin with, it being a familiar concept(my college uses mailing lists for courses, not sure how it goes elsewhere) and matching my skill set well, and it turned out really well with them. The mentors were all nice and supportive, once even patiently dictating to me instructions on how to push successfully.
 And ah yes, that first Merge Request gave me a shocker too. First, I was using their bundler package to build and fix (OK stupid me), and secondly being ignorant about the system of upstream and origin and main branch and stuff. Another hurdle I faced was with Gitlab CI, with me using my college internet which has proxy, everything tends to get difficult.... It took me 2 weeks of head scratching, and loosing my OS(Ubuntu 15.04, now on 14.04) to get things straight.
 But I learnt a lesson, and a very valuable one - STICK WITH AN ORG. GIVE IT YOUR FULL DEVOTION. I saw many friends who switched org after org whenever they faced any hurdle, eventually getting lost. And I am worried this might lead people to never coming back to the open source community, out at least feeling uncomfortable about it. Believe me, it's a wonderful world out here, a break away from those regular assignments, and a feeling of seeing your contribution being used by people, a lot of them at times.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment